Frienemies

Sunday, January 2, 2011 - Posted by -Kel at 11:11 AM
I told myself when I started using Facebook that my friend list would be comprised of just that, my actual friends. So I set up my account so that my comments, posts, pictures, etc. could only be viewed by my friends. But the most restrictive setting for friend requests was "friend of a friend", meaning someone had to be on one of my friend's friend list or they couldn't request to be my friend (did I lose you there?).

And then I started making exceptions to my rule. Like TT. She is the younger sister of one of my friends and I've only met her once. But I liked her immediately on meeting her and if I had the opportunity to hang out with her again I certainly would. And then there is Miss N. She used to work with Dad and was looking for someone to take pictures of her gorgeous little boy and of course I jumped at the chance. But I really like her too. She is sweet and funny and a wonderful mommy and I hope she'll let me take pictures of her little man again in the future.

Sigh. And then there are the mistakes I've made in allowing access to my list. These 2 will be rectified (deleted and blocked) today. For the purpose of this post, we will call them 1 and 2.

I have actually known 1 for the last 13 years, and in all that time I don't think she has ever liked me. She is the wife of one of hubby's oldest friends and when I first met her (before hubby and I were dating) I thought she was just really shy. Nope, turns out she's just rude. And apparently nosey. 1 has never made it a secret that she doesn't care for me, so when she started sending friend requests I was confused. "But we aren't friends!" I would say to myself. So I took a look at her friend list. Turns out she was also friends with one of my ex-boyfriends ex-girlfriends that she went to school with and hated vehemently. In addition to that one, my sister in law and one of hubby's cousins were also on her friend list; two women she had never had any real personal interaction with at all. So after months of ignoring and deleting her repeated requests I finally caved and let her in. "It's her own fault if she sees something she doesn't like" I told myself. But let's face it. I'm nosey too.

2 I have kind of known (or maybe known of) for around 12 years. And hubby will be the first one to tell you that I am a complete idiot for allowing her on my friend list because she is hubby's ex-girlfriend (we hung out as couples when I was dating the ex-boyfriend mentioned above). She was apparently working with one of my besties M and was on M's friend list. But she knew how to disarm me right away with her friend request. She said she was interested in seeing my photography. And that did it. With a smile I said "OK!" and clicked on the accept button. And nothing untoward happened until a little over a week ago. 2 made some accusatory comments on Facebook about my friend. Without going into the details, let me just say that I have a different opinion of what 2's expectations should have been and I am LOYAL to my FRIENDS. And then this morning I log in to Facebook to discover a link to her blog, in which she has basically copied one of my own blog posts (here) and is using it as a disclaimer on her own. REALLY!?!?! Are you SO unimaginative that you can't come up with something all your own??? You have to use MY words on your blog??? And you can't even get it right!!! "Your" is possessive (your blog), "you're" is a contraction and is short for "you are"! It's not that hard!!! In short, what I am saying is that you're (not your) really pissing me off this morning!!!

Deep breath. But no more. They are officially done. I have deleted 1 and 2 and have also blocked them from friend requesting me again. Because after all, I have standards.