Really?

Sunday, January 23, 2011 - Posted by -Kel at 9:42 AM
We were all sitting around in the training building between sessions. A few people from my table were chatting with a couple of ladies sitting at the table in front of us.

I can't even remember what the actual conversation was about, I wasn't really paying that much attention. Someone said something about a business in Midwest City. I piped up "Yeah, that's over by blah, blah, blah.." (I still don't remember)

This caught Potreen's attention and she asked me where I was from. I told her I lived in Choctaw, but graduated from Midwest City. Michelle immediately started asking if I knew this person or this person or anyone with this last name.

Back story

My time as a MWC Bomber was not what I would call memorable. I started there my Junior year, after moving back to the States from Turkey. This was my third new beginning in four years. I was nervous and scared about starting over in a new school. The girl assigned to show me around on my first day quickly walked me through the halls and to my first class. She wasn't much for making conversation with me, and then she was gone. I never saw her again. It quickly became obvious that I wasn't going to be able to break my way into any one's group of friends. They had all been established since second grade. I spent the first 4 days lunch period by myself, reading on the front steps. I hadn't made any friends yet and I refused to go into the cafeteria alone. Once I did make a couple of friends, that was all I got. These kids were also military brats and knew what it felt like to have to start over. I never knew most of my classmates, and to this day I don't want anything to do with any of them.

So while Michelle was throwing her names at me and I was gathering myself to explain that I didn't have many friends in school and didn't remember names of anyone else, Potreen interrupted (in her most obnoxiously loud voice) "What she's tryin' to say is do you know any black people?"

?!?!?!

Complete silence.

"Wow. Really??? Just Wow." I was dumbfounded

"I guess that's a no." she says, and turns back to everyone else, rolling her eyes.

"I'm sorry. I thought we were just talking about people. I didn't realize we had sub-categories." I glared at her and finished my explanation to Michelle.

This all happened 3 days ago and it still pisses me off. How did a conversation about who I went to school with turn into a black and white issue? And just where the hell does she get off judging me? I feel like she was implying that I was racist and that really hurt me.

I don't have any problems with anyone unless they have personally done something to deserve it. Religion, race and sexual orientation have nothing to do with my opinions of people.

 I do however have issues with narrow minded, judgemental, bitchy people.

Just sayin'.