If it weren't for bad luck

Thursday, February 3, 2011 - Posted by -Kel at 8:01 AM
Apparently I have been a very bad person lately because Karma has been chasing my ass down.

As you all know I was involved in a hit and run accident almost 3 weeks ago. After trying to get somewhere with the other insurance company I finally decided to take some time off of work to go get (and pay for) a copy of the accident report to fax to them. It took another 4 days after I faxed it, but last Friday Geico finally called and scheduled me to take the Explorer into the shop and pick up a rental. All of this was accomplished on Saturday.

On Tuesday a blizzard that hit the entire mid-west rolled through. I don't like winter weather. I hate driving in snow and ice, so yesterday I had Hubby take me to work. He has a 4-wheel drive truck and didn't have any problems. When he picked me up from work he had me convinced that I would be able to make the 26 mile drive to work in the morning with the rental car (a 2011 Malibu). The main streets had been plowed pretty good and most of the highways were pretty clean.

At 5:15 this morning I loaded my gear in the car and headed down the driveway... And stayed there. Seems I was stuck in all the snow that had piled up at the bottom of the driveway from the snow plows. I punched on the hazard lights and raced back in the house to wake Hubby. He quickly dressed and we went into the garage for gloves and a shovel. As we reached the garage door to start digging, we heard what I thought was a car door slamming shut. Of course not. See the title of this post? "If it weren't for bad luck"?

That's right, someone hit the rental car. And not where you would have expected it either. You would have expected someone to have hit the back side, seeing as that was the portion sticking out in the street. You would have thought that a person would see the hazard lights on and go around behind the car where the street was clear. I wasn't blocking the road, 20 other vehicles managed to get around me. No, this guy hits the car right in the front right wheel area. There is damage to the front fender, and up under neath, and from where I am currently sitting it looks like that front wheel is cocked to the side, like this / . Yes, the top of the wheel is leaning IN to the car. I'm surprised Hubby managed to get it back in the driveway after it was dug out.

So I have now started claims with my insurance and his insurance and called Enterprise to let them know. I guess the way this goes is that Enterprise claims the damage on my insurance and then my insurance claims and gets reimbursed by his insurance. This whole thing sucks. FML. So again, if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.